Boudoir sessions are meant to be sexy and provocative. In the context that I do them, they are not solely done as a gift to someone else. They are meant for the person in front of my camera. They are a celebration, they are meant to uplift and show true beauty. I had the amazing opportunity to photograph a boudoir session in Colorado, and lucky enough to get permission to share some of the photos on my blog!
If you’re planning on doing one of these (and I highly recommend you do!), I have some tips to make it easier on you:
- Get professional hair, makeup, and nails done. Fake lashes are a MUST, wear more makeup than you think you need, and you can never go wrong with big hair with soft curls/waves.
- Go shopping for your lingerie! I know there are some photographers who provide the lingerie for you, BUT, first of all, gross. There, I said it. Even if cleaned, I would not be comfortable wearing lingerie someone else wore. Second of all, shopping for new lingerie should be part of the experience of having a boudoir session! Find something that makes you feel sexy and beautiful. And after the session, make a point to wear that around the house “just because.” I know you all love your comfy leggings and pajamas, but YOU deserve to feel sexy as well. For YOU. 2-3 outfits are perfect!
- Don’t forget shoes and accessories. Heels are a must and will make you look like your legs are longer. Also don’t forget earrings and necklaces, head pieces, anything you can think of to spice up your look. One of my favorite sessions involved a mask and mardi gras bead necklaces! Think outside the box.
- Sip some wine and trust me. Bring a bottle of wine or champagne, and know that I will direct you and help you look your best. Share your concerns with me before the session about anything that you’d like me to be aware of. One awesome thing about boudoir is that posing correctly will get the job done!
- Make a list. Make a list of everything you want to take to your session so you don’t forget anything. For each outfit think of what shoes and accessories will go with it. Don’t forget lotion, makeup for touching up, etc. A list done ahead of time will you leave the house without stressing, and we all know that’s the way to go.
And a warning, these sessions are addictive!