I know a lot of photographers who don’t do extended family sessions, but I love them! I love seeing the love and energy that comes from photographing a whole family! My 3 tips to a successful extended family session are:
1. Outfits: I send all my clients a “What to Wear” guide to prepare them for the session. The basics are: Chose 2-4 colors that compliment each other, and choose outfits based on those colors. Don’t be afraid to mix in patterns as well.
2. Maximize Groupings: Think of the whole family, then the family tree. In the case of this family, here are some of the groupings I did:
– Grandparents with their 3 daughters
– Grandparents with their granddaughter
– The three sisters
– The married sister with her husband and baby daughter
– The married sister and her husband
– The baby girl alone
3. Have FUN: Be silly with each other, laugh a LOT, and trust that your photographer will get those fabulous photos you want!
add a comment