A boudoir session, to me, has always meant a session of empowerment. It is a session where I get vulnerable in front of a photographer, wear something I feel sexy in, and hope for beautiful photos at the end. It can be a little stressful and intimidating, but so worth it. Here’s the meaning of empowerment:
Every woman, no matter what size, shape, color, should feel confident in their own skin. It should be something we have control over, it is our right. However, media dictates what we are supposed to look like, and if we don’t fall under those rules, well… we’ve all been there and know what it’s like. It sucks.
A few years ago I decided I wanted to have a boudoir session done of myself, for myself, and it’s become a yearly tradition. I have become more confident since I started, and it’s now something I really look forward to.
My 5 tips to rock your own Boudoir session are:
1. GO SHOPPING: Find a few outfits that make you feel beautiful. Think outside the box and beyond the standard bra and underwear. Think teddies, bodysuits, oversized sweater… Have fun with it! Buy something you might not wear on a regular basis. Buy something you never thought would look good on you. Have a girl’s shopping date and try on everything with an open mind. Boudoir is so much more than just the time you are in front of the camera. It’s an experience! And how fun you get to keep those pieces after the photo shoot!
2. THINK COMPLETE OUTFITS: Along with shopping for your outfits, think of what you want the complete look to be. From bottom up, think shoes, stockings, jewelry, anything goes!
3. GET PROFESSIONAL HAIR AND MAKEUP DONE: Going back to this session being an “experience,” schedule to get your hair and makeup professionally done. Fake lashes are a must to make your eyes pop! I love soft curls and a bold eye makeup for these sessions. Bring a darker shade of lipstick for a different look as well. Nails done are also a must!
4. WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING TO YOUR SESSION: When you get dressed wear an outfit that won’t mark your skin as that will show in pictures.
5. TRUST YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER: Find someone who’s work you trust, and then relax! Have fun, let them pose you and don’t feel self conscious. This session is meant to celebrate YOU. I love that I’ve been there and know what it’s like.
Piece of advice: Boudoir is addicting!
All photos taken at my fabulous studio in Chaska!